Monday, May 29, 2006

More things that make you feel good. And thoughtful.

As I write this, it's the evening of Memorial Day, and the holiday weekend is drawing to a close. Agnes and I spent the weekend in Pittsburgh visiting my father and my brother Paul and sister Lisa and their families. We hadn't been home in a long time, and it was good to see everyone again and catch up on all the things you can't do by telephone...no one has yet figured out how to do a digital hug, and even if they did, it wouldn't be the same. It was a good weekend, well worth the long drive up from Northern Virginia.

But it was Memorial Day, too...the day we are supposed to remember those who have given their lives in the service of the nation. My father served in the Army Air Corps during World War II as a combat photographer on board B-24s flying from England against occupied Europe. He survived to raise and educate a family (which includes 3 sons who are also veterans) and - in my humble opinion - did a pretty darned good job of it. Many other men who served at that time never had the chance to raise families. We owe them all a debt we can never hope to repay.

My father's war is 60 years over now. Those who fought it are fading away, and another war is now churning through another generation of young men. I can only hope that those who survive this war will do as well for their children as my father did for us.

Dan Fogelberg said it well in one of my favorite songs:

"The leader of the band is tired,
And his eyes are growing old,
But his blood runs through my instrument
And his song is in my soul.
My life has been a poor attempt
To imitate the man -
I'm just a living legacy
To the leader of the band."

To Dad, and to all those who have served this great country, one grateful child says, "Thanks."

Have a good day. Thank a veteran.

Bilbo

No comments: