Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Taxman Cometh

At six o'clock this evening I will have one of my most dreaded meetings of the year. Armed with a portfolio full of receipts, forms, and other documents, I will meet with Pat, the nice lady who, each year at this time, calculates my income tax.

As I've written here before, I don't object in principle to paying taxes. Taxes are, after all, the vehicle by which we provide our government with the funds it needs to operate. Taxes indirectly pay my salary, as I work as a contractor supporting a Federal agency. But I do object to some things.

I object to the fact that many people, especially those in the far upper income brackets, are able to hide large portions of their income from taxation using shelters and dodges unavailable to the average low- to middle-class taxpayer.

I object to the fact that many huge corporations pay no taxes at all.

I object to use of the tax system for social and political engineering, rather than for raising money to run the government. Consider that the standard Republican (and often Democratic) approach to funding new programs is by granting tax credits to targeted groups.

I object to the fact that my taxes are used to pay benefits of any kind to persons who flagrantly violate the law to enter and live here illegally, and then demand services to which they should not be entitled.

I object to the fact that much of the money we pay in taxes is spent to support nations which then villify us in the world community.

I have a lot of thoughts on the subject of taxes, and between now and April 15th I'll share them with you in this space. For now, the key points are these:

Taxes are a necessary evil.

We have a duty to pay them.

We have a duty to ensure that our government spends the taxes it collects from us wisely.

Hold these thoughts, and we'll discuss them later. In the meantime, cross your fingers for me as I get ready to meet Pat - a very nice lady who can either make me happy or reduce me to financial tears. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Have a good day. More thoughts later.

Bilbo

No comments: