Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A Bit of Amazing History

Still sick, and going bonkers from sinus pain, headache, and general blahs. I have a doctor's appointment in about two hours, at which I expect to be given some medicine or another and told to go back to bed. For someone like me who likes to stay busy, it can drive you nuts. As much as I love to read, I can only read so much at one time, and it's tough to sleep during the day, especially when I can hear weeds growing in the garden, crying out to be pulled.

Oh, well...at least I can still blog. Here's something I think you'll find interesting...

The last time I was traveling on business, I sat in my hotel room one evening channel-surfing and stumbled on one of my favorite movies: The Great Escape, starring Steve McQueen, Richard Attenborough, and an all-star international cast. It's the story of a group of prisoners of war who plan an ingenious, daring mass escape from a custom-designed, escape-proof German prison camp during World War II. The film is at times funny, sad, and grippingly intense, and it provides a window into a little-known part of the history of the Second World War.

Yesterday one of my old college friends sent me this link to a fascinating interactive website which describes the mass escape on which the film was based. By mousing over the numbered spots on the sketch of the prison camp, you can follow how the prisoners designed and built their escape tunnel under the very noses of the Germans, who thought they had taken every precaution to make the camp escape-proof.

Check it out. Even if you're not a military fan or a history buff, you can appreciate the courage and ingenuity shown by men who, under the most trying and austere conditions, managed to plan and carry out one of the most amazing prison breaks of all time.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

Amanda said...

That was an incredible website describing the escape. My brother is going to LOVE IT. He likes all this sort of things.

Hope you'll feel better soon. You and John sound like you're both suffering terribly.

craziequeen said...

I'm coughing and sniffing and headachey and achey - all the more annoying as I am on a very expensive holiday!! :-((

hope you're feeling better soon, buddy :-)

[cough]

cq

Jean-Luc Picard said...

'The Great Escape' gets shown on every holiday time here in Britain!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Feel better!

Returning some hugs for you

Mike said...

That was as good as "strange maps".

noisms said...

I must have seen that film a hundred times, but still love it.

Great link!