Wednesday, December 03, 2008

In Case You Were Wondering, Yes, Machines Still Hate Me

I was at work yesterday morning, minding my own business, when Agnes called to let me know that the power had just gone out at home as she was plugging in her hair dryer, that she was calling me on her cell phone because all our cordless phones were out, and that she was about to lose the battery on the cell phone. I had just enough time to tell her to check the circuit breaker panel in the basement before her phone went dead.

I keep a trusty old corded telephone in the closet in my study for just these occasions; unfortunately, I am the only one who can find anything in said closet, so Agnes was out of luck. As it turned out, the power outage covered a large area and had nothing to do with her hair dryer, but I couldn't tell her that until she got to work, wet hair and all, and I could talk to her on a real phone.

Okay, I told you that story so I could tell you this one: I arrived home at my usual time and reset all the clocks in the house...except the one on my nightstand.

As a result, I am running late this morning and don't have the time to put up the post I'd originally planned. Maybe later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Yes, machines still hate me. The battery backup in my nightstand clock should have kept it running on time. It has betrayed my trust. I am considering premeditated clockicide...


I'll have to ask Zipcode, who is a law enforcement type, what the penalty is before I do anything rash.

Have a good day. I'll reset the clock, and offer more thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

7 comments:

KKTSews said...

Oh, no! Another alarm clock rant!

I keep a corded phone plugged in (on the desk) for the power outage reason. So what if there's a phone in every room except the bath in the house? We already own them, don't pay rent to Ma Bell anymore (remember those days?), and then you don't have to dig in a closet with a flashlight in hand when the power goes out. You might want to try it.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Clockicide!! LOL! We always have one corded phone in the house for the power outage reason too.

Amanda said...

Ah...power outages. Richard just sent me a text message to say that he won't be online tonight because of a power outage. Its the 2nd one since Sunday! I'll have that to look forward to when we get back to Palembang.

Mike said...

Everyone, not a 'corded' phone. A REAL phone. And one should be plugged in at all times.

fiona said...

Bilbo , we really need to start an Anti-Machine Militia and just take them on, once and for all!
Oh,can I be a General? Pleeeze?

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Machines hate me as well.

Melissa B. said...

Doesn't technology just SLAY you, sometimes? Listen, I have a challenge up at my place today, which you might get a kick out of. Enjoy!