Thursday, January 28, 2010

Video Chats

As you well know by now, my Blogging Friends, I am a seriously technologically challenged individual. My ability to troubleshoot computer problems is generally limited to knowing that something is wrong if I push the power button and nothing appears on the screen. I started having problems when the trusty telegraph key on the computer was replaced by a mouse, and MS-DOS took over from Morse Code.

Yes, I'm not very tech-adept.

Nevertheless, I have managed to coax Agnes's and my laptops into a configuration which will allow us to chat via video while I'm on the road.

How cool is that?

Well, since you asked...

It has its ups and downs. When you make an ordinary phone call, it doesn't matter if you're fully clothed, or sitting on the porcelain throne, or unshaven, or whatever. Nobody knows what you look like, or that you're watching TV or doing your Suddoku puzzles while you talk.

Not so with video chats. Before Agnes and I tested out the connection on our first long-distance video chat yesterday evening, I felt it necessary to check my standard of dress, comb my hair, brush my teeth, shave, and refresh my deodorant. Of course, when you look like I do, there's only so much minor maintenance you can do, but everything helps, eh? Agnes, of course, was her usual cheerful and beautiful self, particularly since she'd just come home from a long evening out with her friends.

So...

Do I recommend video chatting? Yes and no. If the person on the other end already knows what to expect, you're golden. Otherwise, it's the high-tech equivalent of a blind date, except that you can't pretend not to be home when the other person shows up.

Video chats. Not for sissies.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

P.S. For those of you who figured that I'd use this morning's post to comment on the State of the Union Address and the Republican Nanny-Nanny-Boo-Boo Rejoinder, sorry about that. Nobody in the Executive or Legislative branches of the government has anything to say any more that's worth listening to. And don't get me started on the Judicial Branch, since the Supremes sold out to big money. At least the old joke is true - we will soon officially have the best government money can buy, courtesy of the Supreme Court. Sigh...

B.

4 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

The state of the onion is that its peeling.. :)

Mike said...

I think you hit the nail head by saying video chats are like a blind date.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I've never seen a video chat. It must be fun.

Amanda said...

My solution to this is to always point the camera at my son. And now, I have two of them to point to!

So its my voice but always a much cuter video.