Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cartoon Saturday

A former television chef has been arrested and accused with hiring homeless people to carry out a murder-for-hire; twenty-eight wedding guests were electrocuted in India when their bus hit an overhead power line; a widespread outbreak of E. coli infections from contaminated lettuce has dealt a serious blow to the salad industry; the NRA is taking aim at proponents of gun controls in the upcoming midterm elections, in a valiant attempt to make already-dangerous streets safer by putting yet more guns out there; and a broken well in the Gulf of Mexico continues to pour tens of thousands of gallons of oil into the water every day while oil company executives blame each other for the disaster.

Cartoon Saturday can't fix all your problems, but it can give you something else to think about for a while.

One of my all-time favorite cartoons was the old Far Side panel that showed two crusty old sailors in a bar, with one pointing to his peg leg and snarling, "Well, that's a pretty good story, but let me tell you about the time I got this!" The other sailor had a sailor's cap jauntily perched on his peg head. This cartoon is a new spin on that classic ...

With the huge, smoking crater where my retirement savings used to be, retirement has become just a far-off mirage shimmering on the horizon. And not just for me ...

There's new technology, and there's old technology. The old one probably saved more energy ...

I think we've all gotten the memo ...

My computer at work has been making really odd noises for most of the last week. I've tried all the standard ways of fixing it (reboot, clear cache, blow out the dust from the inside, kick the case), but nothing has worked so far. I've even tried some nontraditional approaches ...

And if you're one of those people who sits in front of the TV all day and lets the bloviating idiots on the tube fill you with loud, unfocused anger, we have a suggestion for you ...


It's Saturday. The weather here in Northern Virginia is supposed to be nice, and there is a dog needing to be walked and bathed, hair needing to be cut, and weeds in my garden waiting to be pulled. Time to get to it.

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

3 comments:

The Mistress of the Dark said...

The witch toon is my favorite

Mike said...

John's line, 'you can sleep when you're dead' can now be upgraded to 'you can retire when you're dead'.

Unless a person is ALREADY retired.

Melissa B. said...

I continue to be one of those newspaper readers, even though my beloved DC Post is shrinking before my eyes...