Friday, December 31, 2010

So Long, 2010, Don't Let the Door Hit You in the Fanny on the Way Out!

Today is December 31st, the last day of AD 2010. No, wait! I can't say that ... somebody might be offended at my use of the term Anno Domini, which means "the Year of (Our) Lord." Let's start over.

Today is December 31st, the last day of 2010, BCE ("Before the Common Era"). Is that okay with everyone? Good. Now we can get on with things.

The last day of the year is commonly a day for retrospection, for looking back at the things we did in the past year and telling ourselves we'll never be that stupid again. Such as electing a lot of smug, pompous Republicans in the belief that they can screw things up any less than the clueless, starry-eyed Democrats.

Tonight, New Year's Eve, is an opportunity for celebration that the old year has gone. In the words of humorist Bill Vaughan, "An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves.” And cartoonist Anne Gibbons caught the spirit of this year's celebrations just right ...

Tomorrow, New Year's Day, is commonly a day for looking forward to a new year that just has to be better than the old one because, in a depressingly large number of cases, it couldn't be much worse. Just ask any of the millions of people who lost their homes to foreclosures of questionable legality and morality because banks ignored proper procedures to keep from losing money.

For me, the past year hasn't been so bad. I gained a beautiful new grandchild and still have my job. I made new friends through blogging (hi, Kathy!) and kept up with old ones via Facebook. I have read dozens of new and re-read many old favorite books. Desirable women are still willing to dance with me, and Agnes is still willing to allow it.

On the down side, I lost an old and valued colleague to cancer, had to face the possibility of having to buy a new car, and somehow got overlooked during the compilation of Cosmopolitan magazine's list of The 20 Hottest Guys of 2010.

But that's enough of all that. 2010 is almost gone and 2011 is headed up the driveway. The past is gone, and the future beckons.

Let's all see where it goes together, shall we?

Have a good day and a safe, happy celebration tonight. I need all of you back tomorrow for 2011's first Cartoon Saturday.

More thoughts coming in the new year.

Bilbo

8 comments:

Raquel's World said...

Happy New Year Bilbo!

The Mistress of the Dark said...

Happy New Year!

Mike said...

HNY

Gilahi said...

Wait. What? 2010 B.C.E.? I really, really don't think that's right. "B.C.E." was coined to do away with the potentially offensive B.C. (before Christ), wasn't it? I don't know of a term to replace anno domini.

KathyA said...

Happy New Year, Agnes and Bill!
And thanks for the shout out :).

And to replace "Anno Domini" --

anno publice corrigere
anno publicae asinus


** in the year of the politically correct
in the year of the Republican ass (redundant, I know).

KathyA said...

PS And the powers that be at Cosmo and just BLIND, I tell you!

Bilbo said...

Roc - Thanks! Too bad you're not closer...we could dance this evening!

Andrea - And to You! Hope the new year is better for you than the one departing.

Mike - TY.

Gilahi - You are, of course, correct. Sort of. "BCE" does mean "Before the Common Era" and was meant to replace "BC." The actual replacement for "AD" is "CE," or "Common Era." My mistake. I'll buy the first round at our next get-together.

Amanda - I guess it's already the new year where you are. Hope you had a good celebration, and best wishes for 2011!

Kathy - I took Latin for three years (two of them trying to get out of Latin I), so I'll just take your word for your suggested terms. Which I like. Especially the second... Looking forward to meeting up with you and your hubby in the new year!

allenwoodhaven said...

Purple Flowers and I wish you a Happy New Year!