Saturday, April 09, 2011

Cartoon Saturday - The Congressional Budget Buffoonery Edition

After weeks of shouted accusations, finger-pointing, and thunderous denunciations of each other, Congress has finally reached a deal of sorts, under which the government will continue to operate for another week - until April 15th - and the two sides agreed on a "framework for a package of $38.5 billion in spending cuts covering the rest of the fiscal year", whatever that means. I don't think that a "framework for a package" is the same thing as an "agreement," and so, given the historic levels of stupidity and mindless political posturing that have brought us to this point, which included loud rounds of public disagreement over who had agreed to what, I don't think I'll believe a deal has actually been reached until I see a pair of sober statesmen posturing buffoons like Mr Boehner and Mr Reid stand next to each other, shake hands, and wave a signed agreement. Why do I feel like Czechoslovakia after Chamberlain and Hitler met in Munich in 1938?

Dear Readers, if I ever needed Cartoon Saturday, I need it now.

I'm glad the budget fiasco appears to be over, at least for a few minutes. Now Congress has time to take up more important matters, like starting the whole political kabuki dance over again for the 2012 budget ... and assigning blame...

We got used to seeing the mindless twits of the Tea Party on the news, thundering about how important it was to shut down the government ...

And the equally mindless twits in Congress who kowtowed to their ranting ...

After all of the rage and tension and long, sleepless nights of shouting past each other to score cheap political points rather than doing their jobs, perhaps our members of Congress would benefit from a break for a quick medical checkup ...

... there's no telling what the doctors might find ...

I think this is how the final "deal" (if there really was one) was reached ...

I think the freshness date on a lot of these posturing ass clowns has finally been reached ... and well exceeded ...

Okay, enough of this stuff. I think you know how I feel about the whole thing. Let's finish off with a few ordinary ya-ha's. I think it was Barbra Streisand who once said she didn't understand why a woman would work for 20 years to change her husband's habits, then divorce him because he wasn't the same man she married. Here are two takes on that issue ...

I actually once dated a young lady named Lydia ... I wonder if that might have been my fate. And here's another view of the whole change thing ...

And, finally, we all know where that whole change thing starts, don't we? ...

Well, the weekend is finally here. Outside my study window, the day is damp, cool, overcast, and leaden-looking. I'm not sure if it's a day to try and rake out the old ground cover in the yard so I can try (again) to get grass to grow, or if it's a day to run mindlessly around the Northern Virginia area doing errands. I guess I'll find out soon enough. But not until after breakfast.

Have a good day. Keep an eye on your elected reprehensives ... and a hand on your wallet. If you're a middle- to lower-class American, Congress will be looking to you to bail out everyone else.

More cynical thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo



5 comments:

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
daisyfae said...

as if they want us to congratulate them for getting this done four months late? grrr... enjoyed the cartoons!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Head for the hills!

Mike said...

"present" ... I should have thought of that.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I loved the doctor one the best! Thanks for the Saturday laughs!