Wednesday, August 29, 2012

'Tis the Season to Be Hypocritical ...


As you know, Dear Readers, I long ago soured on both of our major political parties, which are more focused on gaining and holding power and bashing each other than with actually doing anything. Some of you have also castigated me for being harder on the GOP than I am on the Democratic Party, which is a righteous criticism ... however, as I've said here before, because I'm a basically conservative fellow, I tend to hold the GOP (rightly or wrongly) to a higher standard of behavior.

Both sides engage in rank hypocrisy and tend to pander to the worst in our natures, but I think that the GOP clearly leads the pack in hypocritical stupidity. The most recent instance (leaving aside discussion of the GOP 2012 Platform for a moment) was yesterday's comment by Louisiana's Republican governor Bobby Jindal in response to President Obama's offer of federal disaster assistance to his state:

"'We appreciate your response to our request and your approval,' Jindal wrote. 'However, the state's original request for federal assistance ... included a request for reimbursement for all emergency protective measures. The federal declaration of emergency only provides for direct federal assistance.'"

So ...

If I understand this, the Big, Bad, Government that spends too much money and is far too involved in micromanaging our lives, is being accused by a rising star GOP governor for ... not spending enough money. He demands "reimbursement for all emergency protective measures." Perhaps it's just me, but I would have thought this was primarily a state responsibility.

Can you spell hypocrisy?

I have no problem with federal disaster assistance. I believe it's the right thing to do. However, I do have a problem with hypocritical political zealots who want it both ways: to rail against the evils of the big-taxing, big-spending "nanny state," but then to demand the funds and services only a "big government" can provide.

If that sort of buffoonery is okay with you, vote for the ass clown of your choice on November 6th.

But don't say I didn't warn you.

Have a good day. Ask the right questions of both parties, and demand clear, direct, non-hypocritical answers*. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* Let me know if you get any. I'm not holding my breath, and neither should you.

4 comments:

Big Sky Heidi said...

Jindal made some very injudicious remarks. I wonder what is behind them. I hope there is not too much devastation.

Duckbutt said...

Louisiana is a poor state, and is still dealing with the effects of hurricane Katrina and the BP oil spill. In situations like that, it's necessary to swallow your pride and beg.

Besides, if he could get $$$ out of the government with no strings attached, so much the better!

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

I found a great home in Toronto....come visit won't you?

Mike said...

I would have liked to have been there when Jindal realized he was going to have to ask for money from the federal government. "Shit, how can I spin THIS!"