Thursday, January 30, 2014

I'll Drink to That!


Yesterday in this space I shared with you an interesting chart that showed the tremendous surge in consumption of hot sauce over the last decade. Hot sauce makes many things taste better, but it doesn't do much to remove the foul taste of current politics and the economic situation from your mouth. For that, you need booze.

You may have seen this map if you followed the link to the article cited in yesterday's post: The World According to Hard Alcohol (click to embiggen) ...


It shows the most heavily consumed hard liquor in various countries, and gives an interesting take on how we choose to drown our sorrows in the different parts of the world. In most of North America the poison of choice is vodka ... except for Mexico, where it's tequila. Vodka and whiskey are the most widely-tippled libations around the world, with rum a distant third and my beloved gin appearing only in The Netherlands (not in the UK, which I might have expected).

So what does it all mean? Who cares? The world is a hard place, and just about everywhere man lives, he (and she) has tried to turn plants into beverages that help to take the bitter edge off a tough life. If you're looking for a good investment, a distillery that produces vodka or whiskey seems like a good bet.


Have a good day. Enjoy your liquor of choice in moderation ... it's another two years to the next election, and you need to pace yourself.

More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

4 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'm astounded that vodka, not whiskey, is the alcoholic drink of choice in the USA. I guess it's the base of many mixed drinks.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Like you, I too would have thought gin would have been in the UK. That surprised me.

Well I guess I don't belong anywhere so I will sit home alone and drink my Tanqueray or wine.

Mike said...

So the USA has a bunch of communists just like Russia. McCarthy was RIGHT!!!

Big Sky Heidi said...

Drinking vodka when there's Jack Daniel out there? People are crazy!