Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Not Just Splitting Hairs ...


I never cease to be amazed at the sorts of things some people will do, like get ugly and inappropriate tattoos or vote Republican. But I think I have finally found one of the most amazingly bizarre fashion trends to come down the pike since ... well ... the piercing of sensitive body parts.

I refer, of course, to the new fashion trend of women allowing their armpit hair to grow, then dyeing it in various colors.

Yes, Dear Readers, according to this article from the United Kingdom's Daily Mail.com, the latest beauty trend is for women to let their underarm hair grow long, then dye it and post the results on Instagram, where there is now a hashtag devoted to the activity (#dyedpits).

Now, I am personally agnostic on the topic of whether or not women should shave their legs and underarms. Living in Europe in the late 70's and early 80's, before the American concept of shaving caught on with continental women, I got used to the sight of unshaven legs and underarms and decided it really didn't matter - and could be quite sexy - as long as proper hygiene was otherwise observed. It often occurred to me that an otherwise attractive lady who didn't shave tended to be far more attractive than a man with an unkempt beard. I even discussed the subject of the underappreciated armpit in this space a few years ago (you can read that post here).

That said, however, I think that the idea of dying one's underarm hair may be going just a wee bit too far in search of high fashion. You can judge for yourself by viewing the pictures of various ladies showing off their dyed armpits at the Daily Mail article linked above, and at the similar article in the New York Post. Here are two representative samples, in which the ladies have apparently color-coordinated their armpit hair with their clothing*:




I'd write more on this topic, but it's really the pits.

Have a good day. Come back tomorrow for some thoughts on the end of the 2014.

Bilbo

* One wonders if their handbags and shoes match as well.

P.S. - Time is running out to cast your votes for the Ass Clown of the Year. Act now!! Vote by leaving a comment here, leaving a comment on my Facebook page (if you're one of my FB friends), or e-mailing your desires to der(underscore)blogmeister(at)yahoo(dot)com. Voting ends at midnight tomorrow (December 31st) and the award will be presented in this space on January 1st.

B.

8 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I will pass on this trend!

Anonymous said...

They also dye their pubic hair a matching colour.

Linda Kay said...

Not for me, for sure....My granddaughter got her nose pierced the other day. Ugh!

Mike said...

With the green you might wonder if her pits have gangrene.

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Ugly ugly trend. The positive of being my age is not feeling pressure to follow trends.

And anonymous....you too must be old like me. Young women no longer keep their pubic hair. So dying is unnecessary.

Duckbutt said...

Hopefully, this won't last.

allenwoodhaven said...

And I meant to add that I'm not against body hair in general. To each their own. That applies here too but it goes beyond good taste for me.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

So what's wrong with shaving it?