Sunday, February 07, 2016

Poetry Sunday


No commentary necessary ...

Everything We Don't Want Them to Know 
by Maria Mazziotti Gillan 

At eleven, my granddaughter looks like my daughter
did, that slender body, that thin face, the grace
with which she moves. When she visits, she sits
with my daughter; they have hot chocolate together
and talk. The way my granddaughter moves her hands,
the concentration with which she does everything,
knocks me back to the time when I sat with my daughter
at this table and we talked and I watched the grace
with which she moved her hands, the delicate way
she lifted the heavy hair back behind her ear.
My daughter is grown now, married
in a fairy-tale wedding, divorced, something inside
her broken, healing slowly. I look at my granddaughter
and I want to save her, as I was not able
to save my daughter. Nothing is that simple,
all our plans, carefully made, thrown into a cracked
pile by the way love betrays us.


Have a good day. Love your daughters and granddaughters, and come back tomorrow for Musical Monday. More thoughts then.

Bilbo


3 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

So sad! I hope for happy endings!

allenwoodhaven said...

A very expressive poem.

Chuck the Grumpy Cat said...

Filled with pathos!