Sunday, September 24, 2017

Poetry Sunday


I've often noted (and commented here) that my posts dealing with sex tend to cause a spike in readership and notably larger numbers of comments. And so it is that I try to wedge in a post about sex every once in a while, if only to keep my numbers up* - even on a sedate Poetry Sunday. Let's enjoy a roll in the literary hay with poet Ellen Bass ...

Ordinary Sex
by Ellen Bass

If no swan descends
in a blinding glare of plumage,
drumming the air with deafening wings,
if the earth doesn't tremble
and rivers don't tumble uphill,
if my mother's crystal
vase doesn't shatter
and no extinct species are sighted anew
and leaves of the city trees don't applaud
as you zing me to the moon, starry tesserae
cascading down my shoulders,
if we stay right here
on our aging Simmons Beautyrest,
dumped into the sag in the middle,
that's okay.
You don't need to strew rose petals
in my bath or set a band of votive candles
flickering around the rim.
You don't need to invent a thrilling
new position, two dragonflies
mating on the wing. Honey,
you don't even have to wash up after work.
A little sweat and sunscreen
won't bother me.
Take off your boots, babe,
swing your thigh over mine. I like it
when you do the same old thing
in the same old way.
And then a few kisses, easy, loose,
like the ones we've been
kissing for a hundred years.

That's truly a poem for old married couples ... you can tell from the lines

if we stay right here
on our aging Simmons Beautyrest,
dumped into the sag in the middle,
that's okay

Have a good day. Enjoy dancing the horizontal tango, if that's your thing.

More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* So to speak.

3 comments:

Grand Crapaud said...

And it really says it to the point!

Mike said...

I'm going back upstairs to try the dragonflys thing. But first I'm going to see if my health insurance is paid up.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Ordinary sex is still extraordinary if accompanied with love.