Tuesday, October 10, 2017

The Grocery Marathon


Here's a recent cartoon that speaks to me on several levels -


As you know, one of my favorite pastimes is cooking. I get a huge rush out of turning a pile of assorted ingredients into a well-presented, heavenly-smelling dinner, and always enjoy the satisfaction of sitting back at the end of the meal with the knowledge that I made it myself ... often using the herbs grown in my own garden. Cooking is my drug.

If you enjoy cooking, it also helps if you enjoy grocery shopping ... and unlike a lot of men, I really like grocery shopping.

There aren't many days that I don't visit one of the local major grocery stores or one of the smaller ethnic markets that are located all over our area, searching for some ordinary or unusual ingredient for the latest culinary experiment. During our trip to Pennsylvania last weekend, I returned with a huge cabbage (between 5 and 10 pounds), two large, beautiful heads of cauliflower, two quart boxes of brussels sprouts, and all sorts of other bounty from the Mennonite farms of the area. Last night, about 1/4 of the cabbage went into one of our favorite recipes - stir-fried chicken with cabbage, cashew nuts, onions, and mushrooms ... a great dish that always leaves at least one more meal's worth of leftovers*.

My other ongoing project is an attempt to make our own ginger ale. I've been brewing a "ginger bug" - similar to a sourdough starter - that forms the basis of the recipe, and now that the bug appears to be ready, I'm going to make the actual ginger ale later today. It needs to ferment and steep for 2 to 3 days ... I'll let you know how it turns out.

Oh, and getting back to the cartoon we started with - I'm the local master of carrying 75 bags of groceries at once to avoid making multiple trips from the car to the pantry. But on the other hand, the marathon continues when I realize - as I invariably do - that I've forgotten something and need to go back to the store. Oy.

And now all this talk about food and cooking has made me hungry. Time for breakfast!

Have a good day. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

* E-mail me at "der(underscore)blogmeister(at)yahoo(dot)com" if you want the recipe.

6 comments:

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Must be an amazing feat to accomplish. I'm up only for a short run to Publix.

Mike said...

Have you ever gone to the store to get one thing, picked up 20 things, gotten back home and realized you forgot the one thing you went to the store for? Been there done that.

UplayOnline said...

I'm up only for a short run to Publix.


เย็ดสาว

Duckbutt said...

That stir-fry chicken sounds delicious.

allenwoodhaven said...

I've a co-worker who calls that "the lazy man's load". We're all guilty, right up to our weight load limit.

UplayOnline said...

I'm up only for a short run to Publix.


เย็ดสาว