Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Kittenfishing


Back when I was in the dating pool, shortly after the earth's crust cooled, getting a date wasn't easy. Rather than the ruggedly handsome, manly stud you've come to know, I was skinny, awkward, and something of a nerd, which was an impediment to attracting the attention of the girls in whom I was most interested. But at least there were odd, 21st century dating practices I managed to avoid back then ... like kittenfishing.

I'd never heard of kittenfishing until this morning, when I stumbled on an article titled The New Dating Hazards You Need to Know About. I hadn't heard about catfishing, either, which is supposedly the dating hazard from which kittenfishing has mutated. I must lead a sheltered life.

Anyhow, kittenfishing is defined in the article as "the act of unrealistic self-presentation," for instance, using old and exceptionally flattering photos on social media and dating websites, or claiming interests one doesn't really have and experiences one has never actually experienced. Catfishing, on the other hand, is the creation of an entirely fake individual - supposedly, more attractive and engaging than oneself - for use in Internet dating.


I'm glad I'm out of the dating market. Things were hard enough back in the Paleozoic.

Have a good day, and watch out for catfishers, kittenfishers, and other such hazards of dating in the digital age. More thoughts tomorrow.

Bilbo

6 comments:

Duckbutt said...

Interesting terminology.

Dave Peterson said...

Y'know, if you're honest and represent yourself accurately, amazing things can happen. I've been lucky twice through Internet dating sites. :-)

Mike said...

I'm forty-thirty one. Well, maybe fifty-twenty one would be more accurate.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Kittenfishing is a logical spinoff to catfishing.

allenwoodhaven said...

Interesting words. Unfortunate that people aren't just themselves. That said, everyone can highlight their better sides.

The Mistress of the Dark said...

I'm glad I gave up dating 17 years ago..I'm just going to be an old cranky cat lady